Monday, May 07, 2007

Heaven

I just returned from the Pepperdine lectures. Needless to say, the view was tremendous and the lectures were fabulous. I can't remember a lectureship I enjoyed so much. By the end of the day, I was overflowing. It was exhausting, exhilarating, exciting, and....(I can't think of any more "ex" words.)
One of the lectures I was privileged to hear was Rick Atchley's on Heaven. He reminded us of one of the most famous books in our brotherhood was one by Jimmy Allen called "What is Hell Like." I remember that book and I remember hearing Jimmy preach that sermon. He could make you feel as if you were standing at the gates feeling the heat.
But, for the point of my blog today, that seems to be our motivation for becoming a Christian. I've just watched the first installment of a video series on how to show your faith and their motivation was that you didn't want you friends to go to hell. I agree that fear is a good motivator. In fact, the Scripture says to "fear God and keep His commands." But I John also says that perfect love casts out all fear. Isn't love a better motivator? God so loved the world...; How great is the love the Father has lavished upon us...
I would think we would want to be evangelistic (ugh, I really don't like that word, maybe genuine, loving, anything) because of God's great love. I would hope our trust in God's promise of heaven would give us cause to tell our stories. I would hope we would want to tell others that God has pursued us so much and He wants us with Him forever. Now there's a story I can sink my teeth into. I hope you can, too. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Jim! Missed being there this year and seeing you and a lot of familiar faces. You haven't mentioned anything about standing up.

drjimwhite said...

I had been walking so it didn't bother me as much. But we did stand up a lot. Missed seeing you and your family. Saw several people who knew you.