Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy

"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart (where?), down in my heart (where?), down in my heart...." I remember singing this song at Vacation Bible School when I was a young lad. Later it was, "I'm happy today, oh, yes, I'm happy today...." Now, the way you sing both of those songs is with a frown on your face. At least that's what we did. Brow furrowed, look of seriousness on our faces, lips pursed as we sang these songs of "joy." It's no wonder we do the same as adults.
Sing songs such as "When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be..." Picture the same look as described above.
Joy is God-given. People glow with joy and peace when He controls their lives. We can be joyful even in difficult times. Contentment is a sign of God's control. Paul said he could be content in any and every situation. And he suffered through a lot of situations. He called them "light and momentary." Can you believe that? Yet, he was full of joy. How can that be? Because God is faithful. God is the God of joy.
Are you joyful? Why not let your face know about it? I hope you have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

That makes me think of the 2 different versions of "If You're Happy and You Know It." I grew up singing "then your life will surely show it," but in later years started hearing, "then your face will surely show it." Hmmm.... is one theology more correct than the other? I certainly don't want to overanalyze a children's song!