Monday, May 14, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance

I've been in a lot of "high pomp" situations. There have been university presidential inaugurations and opening of school convocations. Of course, graduation ceremonies are filled with such ceremony. I have the academic robes with the chevrons and the hood and the "pizza" hat with the gold tassel. Music is always a part of such events.
Well, Friday I was mowing my lawn in the hot Nebraska heat. I had an old T-shirt on, shorts, ratty, old tennis shoes and a hat to soak up the sweat. I wasn't glistening, I was sweating full force. I had my iPod on listening to music. As I trudged along the circumference of the yard the strains of "Pomp and Circumstance" came on. I thought it was amusing to be wearing the garb that I was knowing that I've had really different clothes on while marching into an esteemed event to the sounds of that very same music.
Then Mark Schultz came on. (Why does his music speak to me so well?) "I believe that He loves you where you are...." I thought, it's not the status of my educational background, it's not my worth to Him, it's not the deeds I may accomplish that makes Him love me. It's because He created me and I am His child and for no other reason; nothing I have done that He cares so deeply for me. "Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."
The honor belongs to Him, not me. He is the One to be honored. He is the One to be adored. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hot Nebraska heat, huh? Is that the opposite of freezing Nebraska cold?

Great thoughts, Jim. Even when I can't stand the sight of myself, He loves me.