Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pray for Your Leaders

We have a tradition of buying a little book for those who are moving out of our area. We place those books out in the foyer and people sign their best wishes to the family who is leaving.
Yesterday, I was signing one of the books and I happened to notice a message placed by someone. The book is a book on prayer. It has a drawing of President Bush with President Lincoln on one side, President Washington on the other. Both have their hands on the present president's shoulder and they are praying. The book is extremely appropriate for the couple who is leaving because 1. they have been people of great faith and prayer and 2. the husband is former military.
What was written was something like this. "The only thing President Bush deserves is life in prison. Shame on all you Republicans who voted for him."
First, it was extremely inappropriate for something like that to be put in a book honoring someone who is leaving. Second, what about the Democrats who voted for President Bush? Third, why didn't they sign their name? I don't think that whoever wrote that goes to church with us. I think it was probably someone else who ventures through our building at one time or another. Our building is used a lot by other people.
So what's our response? Cover it up and move on. Prayer is not about politics. It's not about partisanship. It's not about Republicans or Democrats. Frankly, I think God really couldn't care less about which party is in power. We are told to pray for our leaders. And, if you read your Bible, you will see that God uses nations that don't follow Him to accomplish the tasks He wants accomplished. So God is neither American or Democrat, Russian or Republican. God is God.
Well, I've spouted enough. I hate to see this couple go. And I've stood on my soapbox long enough. I hope your day is a good one. JW

3 comments:

Marshall Brown said...

Hey, Uncle Jim! I'm not commenting on your post...though it was a good one. I just thought I'd let you know I was reading. Feel free to swing by my blog sometime too. I'll hopefully see you sometime this summer at GVBC.

One Observationist said...

Dr. White,

The person that wrote the comment about Bush deserving life in prison should’ve left their name, but I don’t blame them. Bush sucks and someone brought this man’s image into our church.

If you are going to have a going away book with GWB on it then you should expect some negative commentary. Or where you expecting all of the CoC members to fall in line? I mean come on now. Bush is compared with Lincoln or Washington. Seriously Dr. White. Are you stating that it is acceptable to place these three men together and not expect a negative response?

GWB is a gnat compared to the men that formed (Washington) and saved (Lincoln) this country. GWB is… well…. He is something. May God have mercy on me for the thoughts I have regarding the leader of our country.

They may not have signed their name because they knew how you (Bush supporters and “Christians”) might respond. Oh, some guy disagrees therefore he must be a liberal commie who doesn’t care about Christ or America. Southwest brought politics into the church for Pete’s sake. Give this person a break.

I disagree with you. God does care which party is in power. Why? Because God is in charge. He gives a crap what’s going on with those of us that care about how the government is treating His people. We are in our current situations in part because of our government. Bush has thrown our nation into a divided country. He has pitted Christian against Christian and someone wants to have a going away book with GWB, Lincoln, and Washington together. Good grief. Like that isn’t going to stir something up.

I think murder at the hands of the American government is wrong. And now it is brought into my church. I sympathize with the person that wrote the response in that book. If the person that wrote that response is reading this blog then call me up. You have a friend at the Southwest CoC that doesn’t think you are a coward for not signing your name. I understand how difficult it is to live with “conservative” Political Christians and disagree with their politics while they preach it from their pulpits.

Rus Duncan used to tell me that he would not watch or listen to current events because it divided people. He was right. Maybe more of us (Christians) should learn to put our politics aside and think about Christ.

Dr. White – I heard you promote Bush in one of your sermons. From the pulpit you insinuated that Bush was “the man of God”. With all due respect, expect some of your parishioners to disagree with you.

Jeremy Divis

Theresa Michelle said...

Jim, I'm not a fan of the current prez either, but agree with you the comment was tactless. I'm assuming the couple to whom the book is being given are fans of GW, but even that isn't the point. The purpose of signing a book given as a gift is so the recipient can fondly remember the friends left behind. What a hurtful, selfish thing to do. It's not about political views at all. If you don't feel you can consciously condone the views put forth in the book, fine - don't sign it - but don't ruin their gift.

On a side note, I don't think having people pray on you puts you at their level. Prayer is very humbling and submissive by its very nature. If anything, more power to any and all who pray for our current president. He needs it!