Thursday, May 17, 2007

Not in Charge

I heard a comment about a preacher this week that disturbed me. The person said, "He is in charge of that church." The comment was not meant to be incriminating or derogatory. In fact, it was made almost proudly.
Did you cringe, also, when you read it? My thought went immediately to Ephesians 5 where Paul says "He (Christ) is the head of the church." It's all about him. In Colossians, Paul spends a lot of time describing Jesus. Here is the list:

1. The image of the invisible God
2. The firstborn over all creation
3. By him all things were created
4. He is before all things
5. In him all things hold together
6. He is the head of the body, the church
7. He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead

The one description that always hits me in that list is "in him all things hold together." My assumption is that out of him all things fall apart. I know that sometimes we preachers think we are the reason why people come...to hear our wonderful words of wisdom. But it's not. And if it is, shame on us. We're not pointing in the right direction. "Fix our eyes" Paul says. Stare at Jesus. Be amazed. Once we do that, we'll realize that we are far from being in charge. Besides, I don't want to be in charge. I'll mess it up.
I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: