Monday, January 07, 2008

Home

God told Abram that his descendants would be like the stars in the sky. Then he warned them, "Know for certain that your descentdants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years." (Genesis 15:13) Instead of using "strangers," the English Standard Version uses the word "sojourners." Obviously, in context, God is talking of the Israelites in Egypt. Yet Peter uses similar language in his short epistle when he calls the Christians there strangers and aliens. Quite the definition of us, don't you think?
It reminds me of a song we used to sing:

Here we are but straying pilgrims,
Here our path is often dim.
But to cheer us on our journey,
Still we sing this wayside hymn:

Yonder over the rolling river,
Where the shining mansions rise,
Soon will be our home forever,
And the smile of the blessed Giver
Gladdens all our longing eyes.


Sojourners. Strangers. Aliens. Longing eyes. I have had the opporunity to travel a lot in my life including two trips to Trinidad, one to eastern Russia and one to France. What's the greatest sight I saw on these trips? Easy. Home. I love being with my friends on this sojourn, this journey on this earth. But it's not home. My longing eyes are looking ahead and asking that you join me on this wonderful trip. We'll be landing soon. Have a great day! JW

No comments: