Monday, January 14, 2008

Secular vs. Non-secular

I was involved in an interesting conversation over the weekend. The lady was a Jewish lady, raised in a Jewish home, married to a Jew, I think you get the picture. She doesn't attend synagogue anywhere, doesn't eat kosher, has nothing to do with religion per se. Again, I think you get the drift. When whe was young, she and her parents didn't go on vacation, they went to Israel. Again. She explained that there are two types of Jews--secular and non-secular. Many of the problems in the Middle East, in her mind, were between the secular and non-secular Jews. The secular Jews represent the intellectual. I would assume that the non-secular represents those who aren't.
Do you see anything amiss in all of this? Doesn't it seem ironic that someone who claims to have the background of God's chosen claims no connection at all to the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
Yet, that's what I see in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Secular and non-secular. Those who were more concerned about political clout with the Romans and maintaining their status as opposed to those who truly wanted to follow God. I am incredulous even now thinking that the Jewish nation turned their backs on God in spite of His care over them on so many occassions.
I hope we as Christians learn our lessons from such things as this. It is my fervent prayer that we never turn our backs on God. That we understand that He is the Giver of life, the One who sustains. I never want to be considered "secular" in my spiritual life. Seems almost like an oxymoron, doesn't it? I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: