Wednesday, January 02, 2008

January 2nd Jealous of January 1st?

I wonder if January 2nd ever gets jealous of January 1st? January 1st gets most of the bowl games, the cheese dip, the parties, the "Happy New Years." If it's fun, January 1st gets it.
On the other hand, January 2nd gets the broken resolutions, the heart burn from the cheese dip, the complaining about going back to work. You get the picture. Now I'm no scholar, but I would say the answer to my intial self-imposed question is "no."
"Jim's lost it and it's only January 2nd." I thought I heard a collective group mumbling something about me losing it. Well I haven't. Here's my thought process.
One of our problems in the church is selfishness. We're so concerned about getting credit, about making sure we're seen, and most of all, making sure others don't get credit either. "If I'm not getting credit, she/he shouldn't either." But we begin with the wrong supposition. It's not about me. It's not about you. It's about God. Rick Warren began his book The Purpose Driven Life with those words. When Paul is talking to the church in Corinth, he says, "How ridiculous if everyone wants to be an eye. If everyone were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be?" I Corinthians 12 (MOV--My Own Version). Listen to what Paul said through the Spirit in that wonderful passage. This time, it's really his words.

But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. I Corinthians 12:24b-27.

Now, my goal for 2008 is to get out of the way. I want this year to be all about God. It isn't about jealousy or selfishness or self promotion or anything else that is evil in spirit. It is about making sure that God is glorified. Paul said it again in Philippians when he said, "...consider others better than yourselves." Amen. Have a great day. JW

No comments: