Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm Listening

I don't know why I thought of this today, but for some reason I remembered something from when I worked for a printing company. My boss bought three pieces of equipment from New York that were going to make him millions. There was a four-color printing press, a stitching machine (which made small booklets), and a paper cutter. When we received this wonderful items, they were painted a light, sky blue. It looked as if someone put these things on a dock and just took the paint gun and covered them. Now this is all well and good, but we're talking on moving parts. Parts that have to be frequently lubricated. To make a long story even longer, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on "fixing" this equipment, it never worked. Looked good in the beginning although printing presses on not supposed to be covered with sky blue paint. The equipment was old, worn out, and faultly and it never, ever worked.
I see two applications. Satan sugar coats things, too. He makes them look real good. Makes promises he never intends to keep. Sells you a bill of goods and then leaves you wallowing in your frustration because you got something you never really intended to receive. A kind of buyer's remorse. But by then, it's too late. You've invested your life and it's too late.
The other thing I see has to do with people who claim to be spiritual, but really aren't. They look good on the outside, but inside are as corrupt and polluted as the world. There were some in Jesus' day and He called them "hypocrites." Actors. That is the origin of the word. Greek actors wearing masks. Being something they weren't. He said they were white-washed tombs. They looked lovely on the outside, but inside were full of dead men's bones.
Striving to hear God's call is the answer to both of these. Difficult sometimes because there is so much "noise" in this world. It is possible, though. I remember when my children were little and I would be at a playground or other public place and there was the usual noise of commerce or play. Children would occasionally call out or cry. Funny, I knew which voice belonged to me. Why was that? I was tuned in. Same with God. We must tune it. Listen. Hear Him. Listen to Him. Follow Him. It's a good day today. Enjoy it. Listen for God. JW

No comments: