Monday, January 12, 2009

Have Thine Own Way

You probably think I'm a jerk when you read these blogs and I reveal my feelings about certain topics. Well, this is another one of those times. I was asked to speak at an assisted living home last Thursday evening. Now I've told you about them before and it's not because I don't want to go. I enjoy my time there and the people are kind and love me and treat me well. I do have to work to come up with something intelligible to say and regardless of what some may think, that's not particularly easy for me to do. But the other thing that I was bothered by was the national title game was on last Thursday night featuring two high-powered offenses and two Heisman trophy winners. The Floria Gators from the SEC were taking on the Big Twelve champions the Oklahoma Sooners for the BCS Championship. You can tell I've watched too much hype.
Once again I was humbled. As we sang with those who gathered that night:

Have thine own way, Lord,
Have think own way.
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me
After Thy will,
While I am waiting,
Yielded and still.


Kind of like the Mary/Martha affair with Jesus. "Martha, Martha...Mary has chosen what is better." It was a slap in the face for me to realize what was really more important. What had more eternal influence? Time spent with those who don't have much more time here on this earth? Or who will win the national football title (of which we'll struggle to remember who won come this time next year)?
I was able to get home in plenty of time to see most of the game. The first quarter was over when I got home and the score was 0-0. I didn't miss anything. And then...I must confess...I fell asleep toward the end of the game.
There you go. Call me what you want. I deserve it. But you know what? I had a great evening with those older people. They make me laugh. I hope you have a good laugh today, too. JW

No comments: