Thursday, January 29, 2009

Closing Songs

With the advent of small groups, many churches are foregoing their Sunday evening services. I'm fine with that, but there are so many "evening" songs that have such beautiful meaning. It's kind of hard to sing "Day is Dying in the West" on Sunday mornings. Many of these songs are beautiful in their thought and in their music.
I remember as a kid, "Take the Name of Jesus With You" was kind of the standard closing song. My favorite, however, was "Now the Day is Over." Beautiful words like this:

Now the day is over, night is drawing nigh;
Shadows of the evening steal across the sky.

Jesus give the weary calm and sweet repose;
With Thy tend'rest blessing may our eyelids close.

Grant to little children visions bright of Thee;
Guard the sailors tossing on the deep blue sea.

Comfort every suf'rer watching late in pain;
Those who plan some evil from their sin restrain.

When the morning wakens, then may I arise
Pure, and fresh, and sinless in Thy holy eyes.


What a beautiful way to end the day. Another "evening closing" song we used to sing was this one:

All praise to Thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light;
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.

Forgive me, Lord, for Thy dear Son
The ill that I this day have done,
That with the world, myself, and Thee,
I, ere I sleep at peace may be.

O may my soul on Thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close--
Sleep that may me more vig'rous make
To serve my God when I awake.


I love the thoughts contained in these songs! There is a humility, a contrite spirit that says, "I may have blown it today, Lord. Please forgive me. Put my mind at rest for tomorrow is another day to serve You. I think, though, that my favorite "evening closing" song has to be #513 in the old Great Songs of the Church songbook.

The sun declines: o'er land and sea creeps on the night;
The twinkling stars come one by one to shed their light;
With Thee there is no darkness, Lord:
With us abide; and 'neath Thy wings we rest secure
This eventide.

And when with morning light we rise, kept by Thy care,
We'll lift to Thee with grateful hearts our morning prayer;
Be Thou thro' life our Strength and Stay,
Our Guard and Guide to that dear home where there will be
No eventide.


The hope, the promise of a time when we won't have to go to bed anymore. Sin will not be our daily struggle anymore. But the promise of our Father's abiding presence and the hope of the time when there is no eventide. Wow! I love these songs. Have a great day! JW

2 comments:

Franklin Wood said...

"Now the Day is Over" is one of my faves. The tune is hypnotic, almost like it was written to be a lullabye.

Terry Rush said...

One of my classmates in preaching school led morning chapel with "Oh Why Not Tonight?"

Didn't quite fit.