Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mabrey Miller

I first met Mabrey Miller in 1961 when I was the ripe old age of 7. My mom and dad had just moved the family to York, Nebraska where we would spend the next five years of our lives. I remember going to the Miller's huge house (And it was huge. I've been by there many times in my adulthood and it is still a huge house) to play with his kids. He was just another one of those guys who worked with my dad at York College. Little did I realize until later that Mabrey was one of the first, if not the first, employee York College hired when it was taken over by the Church of Christ. And when everyone else had left--Roger Hawley, Gayle Napier, Dale Larsen, Bob Thomas, Joe Alley, Ed White, Charles Bawcom, and a host of others--Mabrey was still there.
When my family moved back to York to work at the college in 1999, Mabrey was still there. Obviously, a little slower, but his mind was still keen and he was still gainfully employed by the college. By now they called him "Doc." I heard President Wayne Baker say that he never made a major decision that would affect the college without first consulting Doc. He still taught a Bible class even when he was well into his 80s. He served in many capacities at the college. I remember him as the Academic Dean. But probably his best role was he was York College's biggest supporter.
I remember going out to the little golf course just outside of York at Henderson and there was Madge and Mabrey. Madge was really there to watch the ball. Mabrey couldn't see it once he hit it. Mabrey had always had a vision problem. I remember his thick glasses from when I was a kid. But I never heard him complain about it. He just took Madge with him.
My best memory of Mabrey now is when he prayed at the East Hill Church. When the song leader would sit down and the prayer was next, there seemed to be a long pause. It was Mabrey walking down the aisle at his leisurely pace. It wasn't because he couldn't walk faster, I think it was because he didn't want to hurry the fact that we were about to pray to God. And he would begin every prayer the same way. Silence....and then you heard Mabrey's distinctive voice and the words spoken slowly, "Holy.......Holy.......Holy are you O Lord."
A great loss for York College. Mabrey was truly one of a kind. York College's loss is certainly heaven's gain. For his fate is certain because he knew His God well. Mabrey, I am proud to say that I knew you. Give my regards to Mom and Dad. I know they were there to greet you.

No comments: