Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Important

Yesterday I was wearing my Arkansas Razorbacks Athletic Department shirt. At this point, I must apologize to my unbelieving, non-Razorback fans, but you just got to understand; I have three degrees from the University of Arkansas and claim Arkansas as home. I have gotten several comments about the shirt complimenting me on the piece of clothing that I'm proud to wear.
I was eating with a friend of mine yesterday when the waitress noticed my shirt. "Arkansas Razorbacks, huh?" she said. I gave her a quick "Wooo Pig Soooiieee."
"Do you work for the athletic department?"
"No."
" Are you a coach?"
"No."
"Are you important?"
"Yes, I am." Really. I said that. But then I followed. "And so are you. Everyone's important."
She told us that she had just moved to Omaha from Kearney. At the end of the meal my friend asked me for my card and when she came back, he asked her if she had found a church home. She hadn't. She had been looking. We invited. She said she would come. She's looking for a teaching job. My friend said he might could get her connected to the right person. Now we wait. Will she be here Sunday?
You know, little conversations can end up with big results. Look at Nicodemus. Look at the Samaritan woman at the well.
I learned a lesson today. A lesson in kindness and openness. A lesson in just asking. What does it hurt? Jesus did it all the time. Have a great day! JW

2 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

I'm sorry, Jim. I just have a hard time rooting for teams with pigs or cows on their helmets.

At least we can agree on the cows, right?

drjimwhite said...

Shane,
My two favorite teams are Arkansas and whoever is playing Texas. The College World Series was a downer this year because of the result. But I bet Florida showed up for the runner-up trophy.

JW