Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Those of you who read my blog know that I am a frequent visitor to Starbucks. I know it's expensive, but there's a reason for my visits. When I walk in, they say, "Venti no-water chai?" I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like my chai. Depending on who's there, they even call me by name and write my name on the cup. For a while there was a girl there (bartista, as they call themselves) who would say, "Good morning, Bob!" I don't know, I guess I look like a Bob. But my point is, they know me, they know what I like, and they're friendly.
Several years ago I was asked to speak at a youth retreat. My topic was to be "The Church as Cheers." You probably remember the popular sitcom "Cheers" set in a bar. Like everything else on TV, it was not a true depiction of what bars are really like, but that's another story. Now remember, this was the topic given to me. I did not choose it. The first words out of my mouth were that I was uncomfortable comparing the Lord's church to a bar. But I began by saying I had a song to sing and I wanted the young people to sing with me if they knew the words. I started singing, "Making your way in the world today takes everything you got..." That was it, the kids picked up and sang the whole song. "Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came...." I was excoriated by some youth minister who couldn't believe that I would compare the church that his Savior died for to a bar. THAT WAS THE TOPIC GIVEN TO ME!!!! I digress again.
But the point is, don't we like to go where people know us? Don't we like to go places where we are accepted without judgement? Don't we like to go where people love us and call us by name? No wonder we're having a hard time filling the assemblies on Sunday mornings. We come in, sit down, drink some juice, eat some crackers, sing some songs, stare straight ahead, and beat the Baptists to the restaurant if the preacher doesn't preach too long. Whatever happened to community? Family? Whatever happened to koinonia? Fellowship, sharing. The synagogue was the community center of the Jewish culture. It was where education took place. It was where youngsters learned to read. It was where they were taught how to act. It was where everybody knew their name.
I attended the Crossroads Church of Christ in Gainesville, Florida years ago on a Wednesday night. (Yes, the very Crossroads that began "the movement") An hour after services were over (Amen was said, I heard it) almost everyone was still there. They were talking and hugging and smiling. They were glad to see each other. It was hump day and they needed encouraging. That's what church is supposed to be!
Brethren, let's work at making our assemblies inviting. Let's see that there is a place for everyone. Let's make sure that above all, Jesus is invited and is an honored guest. Maybe we ought to call out everybody's name as they walk in the auditorium. "Norm!!" Ah, maybe not. Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ah, a timely post for me, Dr. Jim! Here we are in the land of "nobody knows our name," wishing for a familiar face. We were in the same boat a little over 2 years ago, when you took the time to learn our names... thanks!

Miss you and the family.