Tuesday, June 07, 2005

What Love Is

As he wheeled her out of the auditorium Sunday, he stopped to tell me something I didn't know. "We celebrated just our 67th anniversary this week." That's exactly the way he said it with the emphasis on just. It was as if to say there's more years coming. I smiled at her and said, "Are you willing to go another 67?" She smiled and nodded. That's really the most communication you can get out of her. He takes care of her. Brings her to services every Sunday. She can't really talk much. She's in a wheelchair and he dresses her, feeds her, just takes care of her. His health is not that great, but he's all about her.
I get a little tired when I read about Britanny and Kevin, Demi and Ashton, Jessica and Nick, Brad and Angelina. These relationships are destined for failure. The commitments they make to each other are shaky at best. They say they love each other, but they really don't understand love. Elmer and Lucy do. Elmer has told me of some of the things they've been through. It's been tough times and it continues to be tough. But he loves her. . .and she loves him. . .deeply. That's what love is all about. It's about taking care of each other.
So if you don't mind, I'll try to pattern my marriage after Elmer and Lucy rather than the others. It works. They are an inspiration to us all. Happy Anniversary Elmer and Lucy! May you enjoy many, many more together. Have a great day! JW

No comments: