Thursday, June 30, 2005

Take My Life

My wife was recently invited to a high school class reunion. It wasn't one of those "banner" year reunions. They haven't had one in a while so they decided to meet. My class was the same way. I think we had a 26th year reunion. This year would have been my 33rd class reunion. I can't believe we didn't celebrate! Some of you are out there figuring just exactly how old I am. Get a life!!
Anyway, while cleaning out Mom's house recently, I found a program she had saved (she saved everything!!) from my high school baccalaureate and graduation. I led this song during that ceremony:

Take my life, O Father, mold it in obedience to Thy will;
And as rip'ning years unfold it, keep it true and child-like still.

Father keep it pure and holy, strong and brave, yet free from strife,
Turning from the paths unholy of a vain or sinful strife.

Ever let Thy might surround it; strengthen it with pow'r divine,
Till Thy cords of love have bound it, Father, wholly unto Thine.

As I read those words again, I realized that God has kept His end of the bargain. It's me that has been rebellious and unflexible and hard to deal with. I don't want to be that way. I would hope that these words would apply to me today as they did 33 years ago. Even though my age would not be considered "rip'ning years," I still want God to mold me. The Israelites struggled with this, the prophets struggled with this, the apostles struggled with this, so I 'm in good company. But that doesn't give me an excuse. Today I pray that the cords of God's love surround you as they have me for all of these years. And you will be bound eternally to God who pursues us and makes us pure. Have a good day. JW

By the way, today would have been my Mom and Dad's 63rd wedding anniversary. Instead of counting years, they are counting praises for God as we speak. God, please take care of these two precious souls. I know you are.

1 comment:

David U said...

Your mom and dad are missed. Thanks for the reminder!

DU