Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Sarah

She was lively, active, smiling, mischievous, everything a teenager is supposed to be. She had wrecked her mom's car at one point. She would take a pencil or pen and beat out rhythmic beats at a table, window, or any other flat surfaces. She was an excellent softball player receiving honors for her abilities. She is dead.
I've got to admit that I understand the loss of a loved one, but not the loss of a daughter. I can get the sudden loss of someone since my mother passed suddenly, without warning in her sleep. But I can't understand the suddenness of murder. I continue to ask the question, "Why?" And if I feel that, I can't imagine what her parents are feeling right now.
Intellectually, I can place myself in a living God who loves me and understands my feelings and hurts and sorrows. But emotionally, I continue to question how something like this could happen.
I just talked to my own daughter who I married off less than a month ago. She said, "Daddy, she'll never get to go to her prom, her dad will never walk her down the aisle." Maybe she's on the arm of God right now. That's where I'll stand on this one. JW

2 comments:

Karen said...

Jim,

Please be sure to give Nan and Rus a hug from me... and if Jamie makes it back, give him one from Noah.

Shane Coffman said...

Father, please give Jim, Chris P., Chris J., the elders, and the rest of the family at Southwest a peace that surpasses all understanding as they minister to Russ, Nan, Chris, and Jamie in the days, weeks, even years to come.

Jim, may God give you wisdom, discernment, and a gentleness and calmness in spirit as you minister even while grieving.