Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Ring

As a preacher, one wonders whether or not your message is really getting through. People kind of file in and file out. They shake your hand and tell you that it was a good sermon. I'm sometimes convinced that if I really had nothing good at all to say, someone would still say, "I enjoyed your sermon."
Sunday I preached a sermon about firstfruits. Using the sacrifices of the Old Testament, I explained how God had always asked for the first, the pure, the best from His people. Then I used Abraham as an example. I told them that God would at some time in our lives asks for us to give up the most precious thing we have. Sometimes we get it back, sometimes not. And God will never ask us to do something that He's not willing to do. He asked Abraham to give his precious son Isaac and then stopped him from sacrificing him. God gave His only Son and didn't stop.
We had envelopes for people to place their contributions in Sunday. We had printed a bow on the envelope and we had these words: To: My Father, A Gift, From: Your Child. I wanted to emphasize that giving was a part of our worship--not just an adjunct to the Lord's Supper, i.e. "separate and apart..." But I also wanted everyone to see that we are to give our best in everything, not just our money. He wants the best of our time, our talents.
After services I was called into the room where the money was being counted. One of the envelopes had some cash in it...and a ring. What did the ring represent? Was it a gift? Was it a wedding ring? What sentimental value did it have? It still remains a mystery. But I have to admit, I was moved. Someone listened. Someone heard. Someone gave something important to the Lord.
So many times we grasp what we have so tightly. It's time we let go. It belongs to God anyway. I heard a story several years ago about a guy who had been called to heaven. He knew he was going and he knew what time. He was told that he could bring one and only one suitcase with him. "What can I take?" he thought. So he loaded up his suitcase with pure gold. He lugged it up to the gates of heaven and he was met at the gates. "Please open up your suitcase," the angel said. He proudly opened the valise up and the angel replied, "Pavement??? You brought pavement?" Have a great day. JW

No comments: