Monday, December 05, 2005

Cold Day, Warm Heart

It's a sick joke. I think God is snickering at me right now. I basically grew up in the North. Born in Canton, Ohio, moved to Huntington, West Virginia, then to York, Nebraska, and back to Parkersburg, West Virginia. So I know what cold is. When we moved to Arkansas I knew that I would love to spend the rest of my days there. Mild winters. Just enough snow to say it snowed, but it was usually gone by the next day.
Now I have lived in Nebraska for six years. It was hovering near zero this morning. We have six inches of snow on the ground with the promise of 1 to 3 inches more today. And the snow never leaves! It's too cold for it to melt.
But I've learned something from this. It's the warmth in the heart that makes the cold days go by quickly. Friends and family make the place where I am seem like year round springtime. And there is nothing colder than a sour relationship. So if I had a choice, pick the relationships or the weather, relationships win hands down. I'll take a cold day anyday as long as I have friends and family with me. Have a good day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Well, you know you won't get any argument from me on this! 2 years ago, I would never have thought I'd want to settle down in that icebox called Omaha. But it's no secret that there's no other place we can imagine calling home now. Just counting the years....