Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I Would Walk a Thousand Miles

I've been amused at the songs that use language such as, "I would walk a thousand miles just to be with you tonight." Or what about, "My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine, softer than a sigh, my love is deeper than the deepest ocean, wider than the sky, My love is brighter than the brightest star that shines every night above, And there is nothing in this world that can ever change my love." How about, "Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you. Whatever it takes or how my heart breaks, I will be right here waiting for you."
Beautiful songs, beautiful words. But most of them represent relationships that are here today and gone tomorrow. The Scripture says that we need to grasp "how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge..." "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners Christ died for us." And he crossed the valleys the the miles and the depths of eternity to send His Son. He didn't send Him to the riches of the earth or to the mansions of mankind, but to squalor. "See how great a love the father has lavished upon us that we should be called the children of God. And that is what we are." During this time when hearts are turned toward the manger in Bethlehem, take some time to realize what a journey that was and that by taking His name, you say to the world how much He has changed your life. Amazing! JW

2 comments:

J A Pierpont said...

http://stonebridgecrossings.blogspot.com/2004/08/farm-boy.html#comments

David U said...

great post, Jim!

Keep em coming!

DU