Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pearl Harbor

In 1996, my wife and I went to Honolulu, Hawaii for our 20th anniversary. While there we took the bus to Pearl Harbor. I wasn't prepared for the experience we had there that day. The visitor's center was well run and there were veterans around explaining what had happened that day. The night before there had been a big party with bands and dancing. I was struck by the young faces of those who were on the ships and serving in the military. Put color in the pictures, change a few hair styles, and they are the sons and daughters of today.
The short boat ride to the memorial was nothing to be remembered. But the visit on the memorial is what is etched in my mind. The memorial straddles the U.S.S. Arizona. You can still see the turret protruding out of the water. But what hit me was the constant oil slick that reminds us 64 years later of the ultimate sacrifice made by those serving on that ship. I've heard it described as the ship weeping for its crew. Nevertheless, I was inspired and continue to be inspired by the sacrifice our military makes so that we can enjoy the freedom we have.
So today on December 7, 2005, I salute all of those who have served and who serve in the armed forces of the United States. Thank you for serving. JW

No comments: