Tuesday, December 13, 2005

They Got His Goat

I was talking with some people about how giving changes us. For instance, when we were kids we couldn't wait for Christmas morning. Sleep was hard to come by, when you did sleep it was it 30 minute increments, and finally you got up way earlier than you usually did. But now when I'm asked what want for Christmas, I struggle to come up with an answer. I'd rather see the faces of my family and their excitement. (My wife feels the same way so it makes for a hard time to know what to get her.)
One father said he told his kids not to give him anything for Christmas, but to take the money intended for his gift and get something for someone else. You know what they did? They bought a goat! Heifer International is a group that raises funds for Third World countries and buys cattle, goats, and other essentials for those who can't afford it. What a great gift!
Not only does this honor someone, it benefits someone else who is really in need. I guess you could say that someone got his goat this year. (GROOOOOAAAAANNNN!) Sorry, I couldn't pass it up.
I really don't need anything. As long as I have family and friends and Jesus, I have all I need. Perhaps we should make this the season of need, not greed. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

I think by the time we're our ages, we've discovered how much joy it brings to make others happy. I can always think of some things I'd like to have, but they never come to mind when someone asks what I'd like for Christmas. Seeing the kids happy (and the house cleaned up afterwards) is usually enough for me.