Thursday, December 15, 2005

Raging Lion, Annoying Gnat

Yeah, I stole the idea for the title from the old movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. What got me started on this was my attitude. After reading Chip Ingram's book, God as He Longs for You to See Him, I was inspired and walking anew. I have cards that I read every day about God's goodness and His sovereignty and His love. And then Satan comes along and says, "I can't believe those people pulled out right in front of you." Even this morning at Starbucks, the girl mixed up my drink and the guy before me. I didn't take a sip until I was almost at the car and yuuuuuccccckkk! Coffee! I knew it! I knew she would get it wrong. She was new and seemed to have an attitude. Pretty soon, my anger is rising and I've forgotten everything I've read about God's goodness.
The Bible says that Satan is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. That's not the Satan I'm dealing with right now. The one I'm dealing with is the annoying gnat that never leaves my face. He keeps flying around reminding me of what's bad in this life. I swat and he goes away momentarily, but then he's back within a split second driving me crazy. And instead of seeing the sunlight, all that attracts my attention is this minute annoyance that buzzes around my eyes. Been there? Help me find the holy fly swatter and let me drink from God's goodness again. Help me to return back to looking for God in everything. Thanks for listening. Have a great day! JW

No comments: