Tuesday, November 21, 2006

...And Be Thankful

A friend of mine told me of being on an airplane when they used to serve meals. He said the gentleman next to him stopped and prayed before consuming the food placed before him. My friend commented that he appreciated seeing this gentleman praying before eating. To which his fellow passenger replied, "I may not be much, but I'm thankful."
I've remembered that story for years. I may not be the world's greatest speaker, or the best father, or the best husband or the best....you name it. But I can be thankful. At this time of year, it's amazing to me that we, for the most part, do slow down for just a day and most of us count our blessings. Oh, how I wish we would get into the habit of doing the same every day. For that is the basis of our service to God. Not out of fear or dread that He may force us to do something we don't want to do. But out of gratitude for what He has done and continues to do every day.
So this Thanksgiving Day, I pray that we will begin our New Year's resolutions early but vowing to be more thankful...beginning today. Have a great day, and have a great Thanksgiving. JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I thank my God every time I remember you." Not just at this time of year.