Thursday, November 09, 2006

Contrasts III (I think)

I love contrasts. I have a number of posts on my blog concerning such contrasts of life. I think Jesus was a man of contrasts. He talked of light and darkness. Isaiah talked about "Woe unto them who call good and good evil, who place darkness for light and light for darkness. Who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

As I was doing my morning walk/prayer, I was listening to my iPod. Mark Schultz (see yesterday's blog) has a great new song on his new album called "Wallking Her Home." It's the story of a man who basically describes the life with his girlfriend who eventually becomes his wife as a walk. Every stage of their lives together, he is walking her home. And when it comes to die, he's right there with her, walking her home. It's a real tear-jerker and a song that means so much. Right after that song came a song by the Doobie Brothers. (My musical tastes are extremely eclectic!) The song? "What a Fool Believes. It talks of a guy who sees a girl he used to like and he describes what their relationship used to be, but she can't see it. She smiles at his "nostalgic tale" never coming close to what really happend. Hence....what a fool believes.

I couldn't help but think of godly, God honoring relationships. They are pure, they are honest, they are truthful, they are pure, they are sweet, and they are fulfilling, and they are life long, no, eternal. The second song describes an empty, hollow, and non-existent relationship. One that only existed in the mind of one. Now, which one would you prefer?

God's ways and His paths are always right, fulfilling, and wonderful. I chose God. Have a great day. JW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never cease to be amazed at how you find meaning in the simplest things. I'll have to keep an ear out for the new Mark Schultz song.

drjimwhite said...

Better yet, just buy the CD.... Broken and Beautiful. It's a great CD. And by the way, thank you for noticing. Maybe I find meaning in the simplest things because I have a simple mind!

Anonymous said...

I think the contrast is so vivid in our culture between healthy eternal relationships and those that are selfish and temporary. I have little doubt in my mind how many individuals celebrating their 50th wedding anniversaries had prenuptual agreements. Those are the relationships I aspire to. Thanks for the post.
~JK