Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Small Reminder

Last night we hosted what we called "Trunk or Treat" in our parking lot. Twenty cars were parked with trunks open and we gave out candy and other treats to the kids of our community. It was fun to see the smiling faces, the shy kids who under normal circumstances would be yelling and otherwise making noise at home, and the costumes they were wearing. But, alas, all good things come to an end. I went to the hospital immediately following to visit a little girl who didn't get to go out trick or treating last night. (I took her a bag of candy. Of course, her parents have to oversee the disbursement. Ha!)
This morning, after all the candy was given out, the parking lot cleaned up, I walked up to the building and reached into my pocket only to find a small can of Play-Doh that we were giving out last night. I smiled as I was reminded of those precious faces, smiling as they received their little treats. I heard their "thank-you's" once again as I held the can in my hand.
I was reminded of the words of Jesus. "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." What we did last night, in my opinion, would have been exactly what Jesus would have done had He been here. In fact, He was here. Have a great day. JW

No comments: