Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween and Other Holidays

I want to repeat something that I said last year on my Halloween blog. There are many who get uptight, upset, and other "ups" when it comes to Halloween. My parents, who by the way were a very conservative couple, never blinked twice about letting us dress up, go into the neighborhood, and trick or treat. I was taught the purpose of Halloween was to get as much candy in as short a period of time as possible.
Now I understand the beginnings of the "holiday." I'm not big into the ghosts and goblins and all of that stuff. But what's wrong with dressing like a potato...or a crayon...or Belle or any other Disney character? "Well, you teaching them to worship Satan!" Am I really? This is a parental choice in my humble opinion. If you don't want your kids to do this, don't let them do this.
But you'd better be consistent. You better not accept roses or any other kind of card or gift on St. Valentine's Day. You'd better not dye Easter eggs on Easter. It's a fertility rite, you know. And land's sakes, don't even think about winding a May Pole. Happy Halloween! Have a great day. JW

No comments: