Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Saving Private Ryan

I was pleased to see one of my favorite movies on television last night....Saving Private Ryan. There are several great scenes in the movie and I never tire of them. Of course, at the end when Captain Miller is about to die and he says to Private Ryan, "Earn this. Earn it!" As the scene changes from a young Private Ryan to an old Mr. Ryan, and as he stands there on top of the cliff at the American National Cemetery at Normandy (By the way, a moving place to be. I was fortunate to have stood there in the summer of 2005), he says to his wife, "Tell me I've lived a good life. That I've done enough." My mind went to the theology that I was raised on. As we get to the end of our lives, we ask the same question. And the answer is, "No, we haven't done enough." None of us can. But Jesus did. I like Ryan's motivation. Shouldn't ours be similar? Because He did that for me, I should give everything I have for Him. I love it. Have a great day. JW

No comments: