Monday, October 02, 2006

I Want to Worship Even If It Kills Me

He came into services yesterday just as the pre-worship buzz had stopped. We were getting ready to sing the first song of praise. His head was bald, he was gaunt, but the thing that drew my attention was the medical mask on his face. He's one of our members who recently underwent a bone marrow transplant for lymphoma.
I've kept up with his progress by reading his wife's faithful updates on the internet. His white blood cell count had made it to zero meaning he had absolutely no resistance to infection in his body. What hit me, though, and I don't think I'm overdoing it here, is that he came to worship in spite of the fact that he might get an infection that could make him really sick or possibly kill him. You couldn't keep him away from worshipping his God. You couldn't keep him away from being with people who love him. You couldn't keep him away from being in the fellowship with all of those around the world who were at the very same time or the very same day calling on the same God. What an inspiration!
And I thought, if it were me in the same situation, would I be at worship? Ask yourself the same question. I'm grateful to men like Mark who said, "I want to come into the house of the Lord." Have a great day. JW

No comments: