Monday, October 23, 2006

Bad Traveler

I'm not a very good traveler. It must have started when I was young and my parents would pack my brothers and me into a car and we would take two day drives back to Ohio to see our grandparents. There were only two reasons to stop on these trips. One was to fill up with gasoline. The other was in the case of an emergency, i.e. flat tire, engine overheated, etc. Of course, we would stop at night (in the cheapest hotel dad could find). We would have to go to the bathroom during the refueling stops. We carried a cooler and mom made sandwiches while we went down the road. Efficient. In the case of having to go to the bathroom between refueling, we would be completely humiliated by having to go along the side of the road.
Flash forward to 2006. I'm kind of like my father in that I want to get to where I'm going with as few stops as possible. Eat at the gas station since many of them sell junk food and keep going. I will stop at a rest area if I have to, but the key (the mission) is to get where we're going in the shortest amount of time.
I'm even worse traveling by air. First of all, there is now no room on planes to sit. If I sit by the window, my legs are around my chin and then the person in front of me invariably leans his/her sit back so that the tray table fits directly into my stomach. If I sit by the aisle, I'm bumped by everyone who walks by. For some reason they stop at my seat and put something in the overhead, so I get a view of either their front side or (ugh) backside. If I sit in the middle, the two sumo wrestlers from Japan sit on either side of me. Then you have to arrive early, stay late to pick up your luggage. So really you could almost drive to your destination in approximately the same amount of time. Maybe I ought to just stay home. But then, how much fun would that be. I hope you have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly enjoyed having you along for the road trip out here. I wish we were ready for the return trip!

Shane Coffman said...

Ahh, makes me want to travel again soon...