Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I Heard It

I live about two blocks off of argueably the busiest East-West street in Omaha. Yet in my neighborhood is a turkey that roams around carefree. In the mornings when I walk, I walk toward that street and then cut down the street right before it. It's during that time today that I noticed something interesting. If I don't have my head phones in, I can hear the busy traffic. If I do, I can drown out everything even though I'm close to rush hour traffic.
Isn't that like our world. Focus our thoughts and minds on God and the busy world just flies past us and, in many cases, we don't give it a thought. Transversely, Satan has a way to turn our thoughts away from God and once again we find ourselves caught in the rush hour of life.
I'd been praying for most of my walk today, and as I walked down the above street I placed my earphones in. Call me crazy. Call me a lunatic. But the song that came on was Rich Mullins singing, "O God you are my God and I will ever praise You." Don't let this song get lost in the translation. I'm walking at a pretty good clip and he sings, "...and step by step You'll lead me, and I will follow you all of my days."
I can hear you now. "Oh, Jim, that was just a coincidence. You're reading too much into this." Am I? All right. The next song was Michael W. Smith singing, "I Can Hear Your Voice." I think God was trying to emphasize a point with me. He said, "Keep listening, Jim. Keep walking." I think I will. Even though you might not believe me. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

The only people who don't believe have never listened long enough to hear themselves....what a blessing!