Monday, November 20, 2006

Where's the Scripture?

Those who preach or speak know what a gut-wrenching experience it is. I've heard it said of Rick Atchley, preacher at the Richland Hills Church in Fort Worth, TX, that "if I have such a gift of preaching, why does it take 40 hours to unwrap it?" Others will say, "Do you ever get nervous before you speak?" My answer to that is, "If I don't, then it will be a pretty boring sermon." Anyway, after speaking, I'm emotionally and physically exhausted.
Yesterday, I delivered a lesson on the new organizational structure of the congregation where I preach. We're instituting a new structure with new deacons. It's something we've been working on for a long time. I've been here for about 3 1/2 years and it seems we've worked on it in some form ever since I got here.
So the elders asked me to make a presentation on this new way of doing things. Afterwards, someone came up to me and said, "Where were the Scriptures?" Now I know of at least three I quoted, Matthew 7:24, Acts 6, and I Corinthians 3:11. We talked of deacons. We talked of Acts 2 and our church family and having everything in common. And someone has the audacity to say, "Where were the Scriptures?" What I want to say is, "They are in my life. They are in my preparation. They are in the years of study that I've done. They are inherent in everything I say. They are in the middle of all I do. They are there between every line. And just because I don't quote book, chapter, and verse, it doesn't mean they're not in there." That's what I wanted to say. Instead, I just said, "Well, this was an unusual week."
Now you might be concerned that the person who said that might be reading this blog. No they won't. People like that tend to strike and then disappear. So I'll just keep preaching. I'll just keep speaking my mind. And most of all, I'll just keep trying to please the only One who I need to please. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

The sad thing is that person probably mentioned it because the only scriptures they will read all week would be the ones you read to them on Sunday morning...

Anonymous said...

Dear friend you know that there is only One you need to please...you are a gifted preacher/speaker & I miss hearing you in person! Lord willing I'll be blessed again to do so.
I pray that someone such as that individual (whom I probably know) will not discourage you!