Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Get Rid of the Baggage

I've noticed the older I get, the longer it takes me to get ready to travel. And I won't even bring my wife's packing habits into this! When we say we'll leave at 8:00, it usually means 9:00. Why is that? Because we haven't gotten everything ready to take on our journey.
When I was young, I didn't have a care in the world. Life was to be lived. Laughter came easy. Spontaneous was the catchword. No planning, just do it. Now you might be asking, "What do these two things have in common?"
That's life isn't it. Topsy, turvey, and upside-down. Really when we're young, we should be careful to spend the time "packing" for the journey, but we really haven't a care in the world. When we're older, rather than being wiser, we take more baggage than we really need.
My thought today was that as I get closer to my heavenly home, I should be having less baggage and less "stuff" that keeps me down. I should be more as I was when I was young--laughing more and living life to its fullest. Really it should be the opposite of what we normally do. The Hebrews writer said that we should lay aside everything that weighs us down. Fix our eyes (stare) at Jesus. Paul said that we should forget what's behind and strain toward the future.
As we get older, let's get rid of the baggage. Let's enjoy life more. Let's realize that the sun is only rising and it can only get better. Have a great day. JW

No comments: