Monday, August 27, 2007

The Cross on the Mirror

I was driving down the road the other day when I noticed a car slightly over the center line driving very slowly. As I passed, I noticed it was an older lady. At the next stop light she was able to get ahead of me in traffic. What caught my eye was the guy in the pickup truck behind her. She wasn't moving fast enough for him and he was on her bumper. I mean, he was close. If she had stopped suddenly, he would have slammed into the back of her. He was obviously agitated by her driving. She was not going fast enough to suit him and he was pounding on the steering wheel, he was yelling at her, and he had a general look of disgust on his face.
Once again, I was able to pass her and he whipped in behind me. Watching him in my rearview mirrow, I could see him glaring at her as he drove by. (By the way, he was a young man.) He whipped back over into the right lane and passed me, glaring at me as he passes. Just as he got past me, I noticed something hanging from his rearview mirrow. It was a cross.
My reaction to this was one of shame. You see, I've done the same thing. I've worn my watch with the cross on it and complained mightily about similar things. I've worn my WWJD bracelet and used my hands for ignoble purposes. I've proclaimed His name in worship, and profained it after being with my brothers and sisters. Somehow, we have to learn how to connect the two. Our actions with our gestures. Our deeds with our intentions.
I'm trying to relax a little bit. It's not easy. People don't always move as quickly as I need to. They don't always have my best interests in mind...at least I don't think they do. But I'm trying to be as He would want me to be. Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble....Have a great day. JW

No comments: