Monday, August 13, 2007

Growing Older

They move very slowly. They don't remember much from time to time. They don't hear very well. Yet, there's a sparkle in their eyes when they see each other. They call each other nicknames, like Missouri, Trouble, and other funny pet names. Yet, they love to sing God's praises. They love to hear you talk about Jesus.
From time to time, I bring a lesson to the residents of Skyline Manor. They appreciate me coming. I have to admit, that I kind of dread going sometimes. I dont' know why. Perhaps it's because it is at the end of my week and I'm ready for some private time. But I always come away inspired, encouraged, and uplifted by these (mostly) ladies. "I Come to the Garden Alone" is one of their favorite songs. They also wanted to sing "Just As I Am" and "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less." They sing the songs with their eyes closed and then say, "That's a good one." "It Is Well With My Soul" is another favorite. Shows where their hearts are. Shame on me when I don't jump at the chance to visit with these godly people. I hope someone will take the time to visit with me when I get older. They talked to me last week of just getting along. Perhaps we need to listen to these folks a little more. Have a great day. JW

No comments: