Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Cure for Depression (Yes, You Read It Right)

Have you seen these focus groups/surveys that have a graph on the screen while a politician is talking, perhaps during a debate? The graph goes up or down depending on what the person thinks of what the particular politician is saying at the time. It's like an instant approval rating system.
Today, as I thought of what happened in the world the day before, as I thought of nagging little problems in my own life, as I listened to the radio hearing what everyone's take was on the primary election last night, I found myself feeling a little down. I moved the radio to a Christian station and heard Natalie Grant sing "You're in Better Hands Now." Even the cheerfulness of the disc jockeys brightened my spirit. I came in and read my Bible and read the stories of Joseph and how he was reunited with his brothers and father. My graph reading kept climbing.
It was then I realized that my temperature is based on what I feed into my small little brain. If I listen to depressing stuff, guess what? When I fix my mind on what matters, it's amazing how much better my attitude is. I know I've quoted this passage before, but if it's true....!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.--Philippians 4:8

I didn't see a single negative thing in there. And of all these positive, praiseworthy things, he says to think about them. If I spent more of my time thinking of the positives and much, much less (or let's just let God deal with the negatives) on the negatives, my life would be much simpler and much happier and my graph would go through the roof. Try it. I think you'll see some positive (pardon the pun!) results. I already have. Have a great day! JW

No comments: