Monday, March 31, 2008

Tulsa Workshop

I've just returned from the Tulsa Workshop. I didn't get to stay as long as I liked, but it was long enough to get some spiritual rest and healing. It was good to spend time being fed. I was able to hear Rubel Shelley and Rick Atchley and Jeff Walling and Randy Harris. I was able to hear some new ones such as Mark Moore and Patrick Mead (although I've known Patrick for over 30 years) and others. I'd like to make a few observations.

1. I forget how many friends I see at the workshop. I was able to hug the necks of Jackie and Mackie, Troy and Carolyn, David and Kay, Steve, Randall, Jared, Shane, and a several from my congregation and many others too numerous to name. It's a slice of heaven. My wife says that might just be her favorite part of the whole trip. You know, I might just have to agree with her.

2. The world has changed since my first Workshop. I think how different the singing is, I think how different the messages are, I think how different the whole atmosphere is. Yet, as I looked out at the crowd, I noticed how many "grey beards" and "blue hairs" were there. Now, not that I don't have any (okay, a lot!) of gray, I was wondering about the next generation and I wonder if we are meeting their needs.

3. I also remember when the Pavilion was full and overflowing in the evenings. On Friday evening, the floor was only about 80% full and the upper portion was not full either. It gives me renewed zeal to recruit more to attend next year. Gas prices are high. I know that there are many more similar events such as the Tulsa Workshop than ever before. Of course, not on the size or scale of Tulsa, but similar events.

4. The workshop is just as important now as it was over 30 years ago when it started. In fact, it's more important. I would encourage anyone who reads this to attend next year. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

God bless you. I hope your day is good. JW

2 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

Thanks for coming, Jim. It was great to see you, and the reunion aspect has always been among my favorite parts (along with the singing and the speakers and the booths and...well, anything BUT Casa Bo-whatever).

As part of the leadership of the Workshop, I can tell you that we agonize in prayer over every aspect all year long, including all of those you mentioned. We're not smart enough to know the answers. But God will continue to make this event whatever He needs it to be, and we will do our best to listen and be open to whatever changes the Spirit leads us to make.

Thank you for coming back each year, and for bringing more and more friends each time!

jackie chesnutt said...

It was great seeing you and Martha. I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time visiting. Take care and keep up the great work. I love you.