Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Changed for a Second (and Third and Fourth...)Chance

What makes people change? I think I know the answer to that question, but it hit me as I was studying my Bible. And it got me to thinking. How many people do you know that were on fire for Jesus, but then burned out? Try as you might, the people who do fizzle out are not always those whose faith is (was) weak. I know some mighty warriors who have been beaten to death and, at least, outwardly don't seem to care any more.
Peter is a classic example. "I will never forsake you!" he said to Jesus. I believe he meant it because he went for the jugular and only got the ear of Malchus' servant. Before he truly understood what Jesus was talking about, he denied Jesus and he decided to go back to fishing.
Solomon is another. He built a temple that was a tremendous sight. He claimed, "O Lord God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below..." Yet, not long after that in Scriptures we find the words that are used so often to describe many subsequent kings of Israel. "So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the Lord; he did not follow the Lord completely, as David his father had done.
There is a silver lining in all of this. God never turns His back on us. The door is always open. He's always willing to take us back. Don't believe me? Peter came back and was more effective than he ever dreamed possible. Did you see the statment in the last paragraph? Speaking of David, the writer says Solomon didn't follow the Lord completely as David did. Are you kidding me? David? I thought he commited adultery with Bathsheba? I thought he had Uzziah murdered? David was called a "man after God's own heart." Hosea bought back Gomer. Even after she had commited adultery and returned back to prostitution. He took her back. The story of the Prodigal Son should be called the Parable of the Loving Father. Example after example after example. God takes us back.
That's not to say we should take the "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission" mode. But it does mean that God will take us and love us even if we fail miserably. Why? I don't know. He loves us and that's enough.
In all of this, I guess I'm asking all of us to change. To change for the better. To seek God's face and to run to Him. And in spite of our failures, in spite of our faults, He is gracious and good. He is our God. Like the song from the Broadway musical "Wicked" that I quoted several weeks ago, "Because I knew you I have been changed for good." Wow! If that doesn't describe our relationship with God, I don't know what does. Have a great day. JW

No comments: