Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Moment

It happened so quickly I almost didn't catch it. In fact, I was thirty minutes down the road when I realized the magnitude of the event. That's the way a lot of important moments are. We live in a day and age of movies. You have to have the big premier, the grand opening, the biggest ever sale. Most of the really important things happen so quickly, so quietly that if if you're not paying attention, you miss it.
I had taken my 15 year old son back to camp. I say back because he went out (2 1/2 to 3 hour drive) to camp on Sunday morning. My wife took him out there knowing that before long we would know the schedule of his baseball tournament as she was driving out. But he insisted on going to camp because a.) He wanted to get in the cabin he wanted, b.) he wanted to get the bed he wanted, and c.) he wanted to get to camp. Several things he doesn't miss in his life. A good night's sleep, talking to his friends on AOL instant messaging, and going to camp. Monday afternoon I picked him up (with a friend) and we came back for his Monday and Tuesday night games. He didn't want to be there because he was missing one of the things you don't miss.
So at 5:30 this morning we began to trek back out to camp. As we drove up, he triumphantly said, "We're back." Off he ran to check on the boys in the cabin. He came back around about two minutes later asking if the car was open so he could get his stuff out. Once again he disappeared. I was ready to leave and wondered where he was. Out he popped once again. And then it happened. He hugged me and then he kissed me. Fifteen year old boys don't kiss their dads very often. Granted it was early in the morning and there were no campers around, but I'll take it. He told me he loved me and to tell "Mommy, I love her, too." And then he was gone.
It was a great moment. And I almost missed it. But I didn't. And I still feel the wet kiss on my left cheek as I write this. Have a great day. I am. JW

2 comments:

David U said...

Hang on to EVERY one of them!

You hit the jack-pot today!

DU

Karen said...

You should have posted a warning at the beginning for me, Jim. That post warranted a trip to the other room for the Kleenex.

Miss y'all.