Monday, July 11, 2005

The Church

My Dad was a great man. Was he perfect? Of course not. He died twelve years ago last Friday. That doesn't seem possible, but time really rushes by. There were times he really got on my nerves, as any father does. He loved me and taught me to love Jesus. And I loved him. There were some intangibles that he lived by thatI would do well to follow.
For instance, he didn't like anyone criticizing the church. There seem to be a lot out there doing so, trying to get us to get things right and to do the right things. There were some prominent ministers that he took to task because they made a living selling books that did knock the church. I remember his statement. Jesus died for the church. Why should we be bashing it?
I see the church as a bunch of yahoos who mess up and frustrate me and who are narrow minded. He saw the church as imperfect people who were saved by the perfect Christ.
Good lesson. I need to listen more, even as he sleeps. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

jettybetty said...

Your dad was a wise man!!
Blessings!
JB

David U said...

We STILL miss your dad in Searcy!

I look forward to hearing one of his jokes on the other side.....the sooner the better!

Your brother,
DU