Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Completely Anonymous

Let me start today's blog with a disclaimer. The crime I refer to in this blog is a horrendous one. There is no way to justify the actions of the person in it. It is my hope that the authorities apprehend the perpetrator expeditiously.
I was listening to the radio the other day and the community has contributed to the Crime Stoppers fund to catch a criminal. The city councilman whom I heard interviewed was very complimentary of the community as they bonded together in this difficult time. And I agree, it is very heartening to see people work to make their communities safer. What caught my ear was the advertising of the Crime Stoppers reward. If you called in with a tip and the criminal was arrested, you would receive $7500. The announcer went on to say that all tips were completely anonymous. Now my question, how will the people receive the reward if they are completely anonymous? A number of scenarios circled in my brain and I saw some humor in this. If the police don't know who gives them the tip, the money is safe!!
But I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and I concluded that somehow they would give their name in the process. No! I listened further and the interview with the police continued. Not only would the people remain anonymous, they would not have to reveal their identities and would not have to testify in court. (It gets even better.) And when they called in, instead of revealing their names, they would receive a number that would completely protect their identity. So once again, the money is safe!! Perhaps it will go to the Police Ball or to the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Fund.
I hope the police catch the criminal. But good luck to the people who help apprehend him. I doubt if they'll ever see the money. Have a good day. JW

No comments: