Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Enjoy the Rain

I'm not much for rain. Rain is kind of a nuisance to me. It gets you wet. It keeps you from doing things you want to do. It makes grass grow. And if you've read any of my previous blogs concerning my grass mowing experience, you know I'm no fan.
But I'm also a realist. There's an old Arab proverb that says, "All sunshine doth a desert make." I know that without the rain, things turn brown. They eventually die. And I certainly don't want to live in the Sahara.
So what do you do? You learn to enjoy the rain. How many applications can we put here? Read James 1:2-4. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith developes perserverance. Perserverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." There are a couple of phrases in there that just kind of get me, like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard. Consider it pure joy??? (Enjoy the rain.) If you let perserverance finish its work we'll not lack anything??? (Enjoy the rain.) I don't like perserverance. Perserverance hurts!! (Enjoy the rain.)
I hope you caught the subliminal message. It's the rain that causes us to appreciate the sunshine. It's the rain that causes us to grow. It's the rain that allows us to really enjoy life! For years I didn't get what James was trying to say. I think I get it now. I'm not there yet. But I think I get it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy the rain we are having as I write these words. Have a great day. JW

No comments: