Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Sing a New Song

As I read my good friend David Underwood's blog and his comments on other blogs, I am reminded how important our singing is. Think about this. We can remember words and music from all of those dumb songs from the 60's. "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I've got love in my tummy." How about, "Young girl, get out of my mind. My love for you is way out of line. Better run, girl, you're much too young, girl." I remember singing that song at the top of my lungs when I was in junior high. My parents must have been clutching their chests in the other room.
But I also remember the wonderful songs we sang in worship services. That's what sticks in our minds. We need to be listening to spiritual songs more and filling our minds with positive and spiritual messages instead of the words and music that we hear now (and when I was young!). I admit I still like to listen to Chicago and The Doobie Brothers and Three Dog Night. I do cherish more the songs by Christian writers now. Just this morning, the song went through my head, "He leadeth me, O blessed thought." Now that's a great thought to begin the day. "Where ere I go, where ere I be, still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me." Please lead me today, my Lord. Old words, but just as true today as they were when they were written. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

Yeah, I think we would know a LOT more scripture by heart if we had learned it by singing it. I blogged about this several months ago. I can't tell you what happened yesterday, but I can sing EVERY verse to old church songs I have not sung in 15 or 20 years! What's up with that? I have not been back to Nigeria since 1966, and I can still sing the chorus to "Send the Light" in the Igbo language. Go figure.

Great post, bro!

Come see us in Searcy. We will still let you Mac Davis songs around here! :)

DU