Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Do You Know Me?

I love the church. I know it has its foibles and faults. But it is made up of faulty people who sometimes do dumb things. Me included. My father, when he was alive, was really one who took criticism of the church very seriously. He didn't like anyone to say anything bad about it because, as he said, "Christ died for it."
But that's not what I want to talk about. I love the church because of its network. I can't go anywhere without knowing someone or knowing someone who knows you or someone you know. Huh? You know what I mean. When I worked at Ohio Valley College back in another life, I would travel to various churches and talk about Christian education. Walking in cold turkey, people would just kind of stare at me suspiciously. I'd say, "Do you know Ed White? He's my dad." The ice would melt and we became quick friends.
My good friend (Hi, Brian) asked me about a missionary in France. He asked if my brother knew this particular missionary. On a side note, my brother is a missionary in France also. The worship leader of Brian's church is a good friend to this missionary. Well, not only does my brother know this missionary, they're best friends. They work in the same city, the same church.
When my wife was working in a Nashville, TN dental office, one of the ladies she worked with wasn't a member of the church. The dentist my wife worked for was. They were always talking about different people they knew in common. This lady commented that it was amazing that the church just had this connection. Everybody seemed to know everybody else.
Isn't it great? One day when we get to heaven, we'll find out even more connnections, I'm sure. That'll be fun. That's the way God intended it to be. "This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples--when they see the love you have for each other." (John 13:35, The Message).
"Sing the wondrous love of Jesus, sing His mercy and His grace.
In the mansions bright and blessed, He'll prepare for us a place.
When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory!"
Have a great day! JW

No comments: