Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Month of Thanksgiving

Even though I have no authority, no particular position to do this, I'm officially declaring November as Thanksgiving month. As you read that statement, I'm sure there was a trumpet blast in the background suitable for such an announcement. I'm may be bold and declare next year the year of Thanksgiving. Or better yet, how about the life of Thanksgiving?
Those of you who know me have heard me rant on this subject, and yet I often don't take my own advice. Let me take you the the book of Colossians. I know you'll recall it as the book proclaiming Christ's pre-eminence. But let me boldy proclaim that it's a book on thanksgiving. Don't believe me?
Colossians 1:3, 4--"We always thank (all the emphasis will be mine) God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for the the saints..."
Colossians 2:6, 7--"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
Colossians 3:15--"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."
Colossians 3:16--"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing spalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God."
Colossians 3:17--"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 4:2--"Devlote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."
I think my favorite passage in Colossians is 3:15. Paul talks about everything quality that we are to have--humility, compassion, kindness, etc.--and at the end of the last, almost as an afterthought, he says, "and be thankful." Not an afterthought of, "Oh, I guess I should put this in there, too." But an afterthought of "of course thankfulness is a given."
So this morning as I walked out into the beautiful morning of a Nebraska fall, I gave thanks for the wonderful day. And I'm trying to be thankful all the time, at least for this month. Maybe I'll get good at it. I hope so. My attitude is so much better when I have that attitude. I'm thankful for you! Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I love this month for that very reason. Sadly I need to be reminded to be thankful. God has been so good to me. I try to appreciate it as he paints this world with indescribable beauty this time of year.

**and please somebody make them quit playing Christmas music so early**