Monday, November 21, 2005

You Sing Louder

Since this is Thanksgiving week (month, year), I want to dedicate my space to the trait of gratitude. Yesterday, we sang in church a song that I really love. Here are the words:

There is a Redeemer, Jesus God's own Son;
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Holy One.

Jesus my Redeemer, Name above all names,
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Hope for sinners slain.

When I stand in Glory, I will see His face.
There I'll serve my King forever in that holy place.

Thank you, oh, my Father, for giving us Your Son,
And leaving Your Spirit 'til the work on earth is done.

When we sing the chorus, it gets louder. There's no notation in the music to do so. It just happens. As I stood in front of the congregation and heard those words, tears welled up in my eyes and I couldn't sing. Why did we sing louder? I think it's because you can't truthfully sing the words of gratitude without singing louder.

You've got the blues and you have sad songs and you have dirges. But when you sing of thankfulness, you sing louder. Even today as I write these words, my eyes fill with tears as I think of all the things I'm grateful for. I can't even write them down; they are so many. . .and I sing louder. Thank you, oh, my Father, for giving us Your Son, and leavng Your Spirit 'til the work on earth is done. God is good. Have a great, thankful day! And sing louder! JW

2 comments:

Karen said...

A 3-tissue post, brother! And every word of it true. Sure wish the Whites could come out here for Thanksgiving. I'd even let you watch football. :O)

Jan said...

I LOVE that song. We sing the chorus louder in Oklahoma, too.