Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hot or Cold?

"I know your deeds, that you are neithter cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."
We know those words from Revelation quite well, don't we? I think I understand them even better today. I've read the commentaries--one city had real cold water, another had hot springs. I've read the tepid life stuff. But I have a different insight today.
Friday and Saturday it was in the 70s here in Nebraska. Odd, but it does happen occassionally in November. Yesterday it snowed about 3 or 4 inches and the temperature dropped all day long. This morning I noticed it was 19 degrees. Now I don't mind the 19 degrees so much (what I do mind is the wind blowing hard and the wind chill being zero.) I can't get a handle on what I'm supposed to wear. I put on a sweater and it gets hot. I wear a polo shirt and it snows. This back and forth, up and down is just not conducive to living life. If it got cold all the time, I would bring out all of my sweaters and put them in a closet and put away the polo shirts until the spring. But this back and forth, I can't take it!!
That's why it's so important to know that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. That's why I care that God is consistent. Satan isn't. He moves around. He's sneaky. The only thing that's consistent in our lives is God. No back and forth. Always consistent. Always dependable. Never changing.
God doesn't want us being flighty either. Be consistent. Not one way with one group and another way with the others. Let your "yes be yes and your no be no." In other words, try to become like God. Wow! I've said that before. Maybe I'm becoming consistent! Have a great day. JW

No comments: