Monday, November 07, 2005

Just When You Think

I opened up our phone bill this month, much to my dismay, and noticed that our bill was more than seven times more than usual. Okay, my daughter's out of the house since she's now married. All she does now is eat my food. It's not my wife's cell calls. Aha! There's the varmint. He's getting hairy on the face, the legs, the arms, his voice has changed and he had (not the emphasis on had) a cell phone. He got in the car singing, And I'm feelin' good." "You won't be feeling good for long," was my retort. So follows the tongue lashing, the confiscation of the phone, the threat of bread and water for the next six weeks, and the possibility of a greatly reduced Christmas since we could have bought two or three of the one item he wanted. GRRR! You blood pressure increases. Your wife blames you for that son of yours!
Then last night we go to Caberet Night, a musical revue at his school. He sings with the choir, he sings a beautiful duet, he sings a song from the upcoming musical, he performs with an unbelievable show with his high school's show choir. Wow! I was so proud. Tears welled up in my eyes as they are as I write this. I told him on the way to school how proud I was of him. But in the next breath I told him I was proud of him when the phone bill was extravagant. And the only thing I care about right now is, I hope he heard me. I'm proud of him even when he does dumb things. He's my son. That will never change. And just when you think you want to cut off his ears, he goes and does something like that. Amazing. Y'all have a good day. I am. JW

No comments: