Thursday, November 10, 2005

She's Dying

I visited this morning with a lady who is dying of cancer. We had a nice visit about her life. She was perfectly healthy until diagnosed several years ago with this nasty disease. Her life right now is her dogs. She has three. Believe me, I know. I have smelled all of their breaths and petted all of them. One of them, Molly, was in my lap with her snout about 2 inches from my face and I asked, "What kind of dog is this?" "Well, I call her a big daschund, but the Humane Society says she is a Rotweiller." Okay, the dogs teeth are right at my nose. With a name like "Molly," she has to be a good dog. Right?
I asked this lady about her religious background. She said, "Presbyterian, Catholic, Baptist..." It was a telling statement. And when I asked if I could pray with her, she said, "No, not today." I asked if I could read a Scripture to her. Once again, the answer was negative. Her time on this earth is limited. I worry about her relationship with God. Maybe I'll have another chance. But for today, we visited about life, about her job, about retirement, about her cancer. But she didn't want to talk about God. She'll be there soon. Pray for her. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

That is so sad. Sad and scary.