Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Where Will You Be Hanging?

My niece was at the house last night. She was born and reared in France so I didn't get to see her much. But as we were conversing, I showed her a picture of her great-great-great grandfather White. It proudly hangs on our wall at home. James H. White, born in 1837 in Frederick County, Virginia. He fought for the South in the Civil War. When he came back to the land after the war, it was so torn up he decided to go West. West he did. All the way to Ohio. It doesn't seem like much of a trip to us, but to them I'm sure it was a long one.
Tess said to me, "I wonder who's wall you'll be hanging on in 130 years?" Wow! What a question. What kind of legacy will you leave for those who follow? Will it be money? Will it be a building or a house? Will it be a good name? It's a question worth pondering. When I was in graduate school I had a professor who made us write our own epitaph. It was a worthwhile exercise and one designed to make us think. Maybe we should do that occassionally. And let's consider our legacy. Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

David U said...

Here lies Jim White. He was a good man, but he didn't know what the passage "the saints in prison" meant! :)

Great post bro!

DU